Posted in Game Reviews, Guides, New Games February 12, 2017
Online Video Slot Features – Reviewed and Explained
Together with poker and baccarat (read our guide on how to win at baccarat), video slot games are casino staples and crowd favorites. Starting with the classic ‘one-armed bandits’ of brick-and-mortar casinos, to video slot presentations of online gambling operators, the slot games have managed to retain its appeal among casino enthusiasts and new generation of casino players. The reasons are varied, when it comes to explaining the popularity of these games. For one, many casino players love the idea of instant winning and basic gameplay that come with video slot games. Instead of skills, the play and spins are defined by a random number technology. There’s no need to master complicated hands, pay-tables and turns – players simply decide on the bet level, and press ‘Spin’. Two, players love jackpots that comes with some of the best games, thanks to progressive jackpots, Free spins and cash prizes. And finally, it’s all about the features that comes with video slot productions – from Free spins, bonus rounds, wilds and scatters. All these features make the games more exciting and memorable.
Unfortunately, not every player understands these features, and fails to use these slot features to their advantage when playing. Remember, there are a number of slot features that every player should know and understand, and these are required if you want to play some of the modern and complicated slot presentations. By using the features, you’ll not just spin and hope – you will spin and hope positively, knowing that the game will not just eat away your bankroll.
Scatter Symbols – From Traditional Symbols to Win-Generating Symbols
Just like other slot symbols, 3 or more scatters can create winning combinations on the reels. But the presence of the symbol on the reels can mean many things as well:
- Traditional scatters – if you can land 3 to 5 scatters anywhere on the reels, the system automatically pays you out.
- Scatters as in-game multipliers – scatters can help boost your winnings, and the multiplier depends on the slot game. For example, generating 2 scatters on the reels mean that the winnings can be doubled, and getting 3 scatters, means that winnings are tripled.
- Scatters to trigger bonus features – in many slot games, the presence of at least 3 scatters on the reels will unlock a bonus round or the Free spins mode. Bonus mode usually offers a ‘gamble mode’ or a ‘pick-me’ feature.
Wilds, Special Wilds and Stacked Wilds
Slot wilds are ‘jokers’, and can replace all other in-game symbols to come up with winning combinations. But in some slot machines, wilds are not designed to replace other symbols. Whatever the purpose, these slot symbols are still exciting and profitable since they can also lead to better winnings, and can also serve as multipliers. The multiplier effect of wilds are possible, provided a certain number of the symbols are shown on the reels. Just like scatters, wilds can also perform a variety of roles in a game:
- Expanded wilds – this is a profitable use of the symbol, since it expands on the reels to create additional wilds for a winning combination.
- Random or themed wilds – random wilds will appear anywhere on the reels, or can be arranged based on a theme. This is illustrated in Guns N’ Roses slot game by NetEnt, where the wilds are showcased in its random feature, ‘Appetite for Destruction Wild’. The wilds will appear in the shape of a cross, and can be activated during the regular game.
- Sticky wilds – these are your standard wilds and can also stand for other symbols, except that these symbols will remain on the reels for the next few games. These are normally enjoyed during bonus rounds or Free spins mode.
Bonus: Welcome Bonus package worth up to €1,500 + 100 Bonus spins. 18+. New Players only. Min. Deposit: €20 W.R: 35x Cashable: Yes Bonus: Welcome Bonus package worth up to €3,000 + 100 Bonus spins. 18+. New Players only. Min. Deposit: €20 W.R: 35x Cashable: Yes Bonus: 400% bonus up to €1,500 + 150 Free Spins on Betsoft games Min. Deposit: €20 W.R: 20x Cashable: Yes Bonus: Welcome Bonus package worth up to €1,500 + 50 Free spins Min. Deposit: €25 Max. Cashout: €100 W.R: 30x Cashable: Yes Bonus: €500 + 200 Free spins Min. Deposit: €20 W.R: 40x Cashable: Yes
Top 5 Casinos with NetEnt Slots
Grand Ivy Casino
Split Aces Casino
Bonus: Welcome Bonus package worth up to €1,500 + 100 Bonus spins. 18+. New Players only.
Min. Deposit: €20
Bonus: Welcome Bonus package worth up to €3,000 + 100 Bonus spins. 18+. New Players only.
Min. Deposit: €20
Bonus: 400% bonus up to €1,500 + 150 Free Spins on Betsoft games
Min. Deposit: €20
Bonus: Welcome Bonus package worth up to €1,500 + 50 Free spins
Min. Deposit: €25
Max. Cashout: €100
Bonus: €500 + 200 Free spins
Min. Deposit: €20
Also known as ‘cascading reels’ or ‘tumbling reels’, the collapsing reel is another creative way of showing winning symbols on the reels. After you activated a winning combo, the winning symbols will fade out, and the remaining symbols will collapse down the reels, and with newer symbols coming from the top of the game’s window. This creative feature can be found in Gonzo’s Quest by NetEnt.
Free Spins Mode
Free spins mode is the most popular bonus feature offered by slot games. In most slot games, the Free spins mode is activated once 3 or more scatters are shown on the reels. Once the right winning combo has been shown, the player gets Free spins, and play without the usual risks. The number of Free spins that can be earned will vary, depending on the game and software provider. Some games will trigger 15, 20, 25 or 30 Free spins once 3 scatters are shown, and sometimes, free multipliers are also included in the offer.
Choosing the best and exciting games from top casino software providers is just the start. A solid slot experience also depends on the quality of bonus features, and a complete understanding of the video slot features and symbols. When all these fall into place, video slot gaming becomes more grander, exciting and profitable.
There you have it! Now that you know everything there is to know about Online Video Slot Features, why don’t you head over to our Online Casino Games section to start spinning for free. Or better up, claim a Casino Bonus and start winning. If you’re still unsure about all of these acronyms, head over to HitCasinoBonus Navigator to decipher more of all of the casino abbreviations and acronyms.