How to Play an Upcard of Ace with Confidence In a Game of Blackjack
Posted in Guides November 16, 2018

How to Play an Upcard of Ace with Confidence In a Game of Blackjack

You know that you are in serious trouble when the dealer pulls an Ace as the upcard. Sure, the game is not yet over but when this scenario unfolds, stress levels increase and some players end up bungling their planned moves and strategies. Well, the worries and concerns are understandable since an upcard of Ace brings in an 88.5% chance of getting a hand with a value of 17 to 21, and only an 11.5% chance of getting busted! In short, this single stroke alone gives the dealer the advantage.

But this doesn’t mean that you should leave the table and kiss your chances goodbye. There are a number of ways on how you can confidently play the game, and it’s just a matter of decreasing your expected potential losses. For example, this will call for a dramatic shift in playing strategy, like being aggressive when given a stiff hand and becoming less aggressive when given a two-card soft hand. To better illustrate these strategies, we list a few examples and scenarios which can serve as your basis when playing the game. Keep in mind that a few abbreviations are used in this guide to simplify the descriptions: S17 means dealer stands on soft 17, an H17 dealer must hit soft 17, DAS means to double down after a pair splitting and NDAS means a double down after a pair split is not allowed.

Need more information about online casino abbreviations? Just head over to HitCasinoBonus Navigator – Your glossary to master online terms & abbreviations.

What to Do When Playing a Multi-Deck Game

When playing a game that lets the dealer stands on soft 17 (S17) or in a game where the dealer will hit a soft 17 (H17), you will end up addressing a different set of rules. For the purpose of this guide, a specific set of strategies will be listed for an S17 game and an H17 game.

Strategy to Use With S17

Use the surrender as an option and if not, choose hit with a hard 16.

If holding 8s or a pair of Aces, decide on a split.

If holding a hard 5 through 15, Ace-2 through Ace-7 or a pair of 2s through 7s, make sure to hit.

You are advised to stand if you have a pair of 10s and 9s, Ace-8 and Ace-9 or a hard 17 through 20.

Strategy to Use With H17

Use the surrender option if allowed and if not, choose hit with a hard 15.

Double down with a hard 11 if possible if not, choose hit.

If holding a hard 17, surrender if allowed and if not, split.

A pair of 8s should be surrendered if allowed if not, split.

To ensure that you will get proper guidance when playing a game of blackjack, you can use a color-coded strategy chart. Also, it would be best if you can first clarify the rules of the game, for example, if its an S17 or H17 before attempting to play and execute the strategies as used here.

We carry a lot of information about Live Blackjack – make sure to read our guide!

What Should You Follow When Participating in a Double-Deck Game?

A different set of strategies should be used when participating in a double-deck game. Here’s a quick look at what you should do when playing in a double-deck game.

Strategy to Use With S17

The strategies for the multi-deck S17 game will also work with a double-deck game with a minor adjustment:

You need to double down on a hard 11 if possible and if not, choose hit.

Strategy to Use With H17

If you are going to play in an H17 game with no ability to double down after pair splitting, then the strategy that you should use is the one applicable for the H17/multi-deck blackjack game. But if the rules allow you to double down, then a slight change should be considered:

You need to split your pair of 8s.

What Should You Follow When Participating in a Single-Deck Game?

Strategy to Use With S17

The following strategy is similar to multi-deck/S17, except for some modifications:

Stand if holding an Ace-7 instead of choosing to hit.

Double down when holding hard 11 when possible if not, hit.

Strategy to Use With H17

You will also need to go back to the strategies used in multi-deck/H17 with some modifications:

If holding a pair of 7s, surrender when possible and if not, choose hit.

A pair of 8s should be split.

Related reads, tutorials and winning strategies for the games mentioned above:

Improve Your Chances by Making Precise Judgment Calls

Did you know that you can boost your chances if you know the exact cards that form part of the hands? This additional strategy can actually work if you are plating in a double and multi-deck game, and the dealer has shown Ace as an upcard. If this is the case, then you should consider the following tips and strategies.

What to Do in a Double-Deck Game

If you are playing in an S17, use the strategy below:

If you are holding a hard 11 of an 8-3 or 9-2, you should hit instead of simply doubling.

If you are playing in an H17, this trick will work:

If you are holding a hard 15 with an 8-7, choose hit.

What to Do in a Single-Deck Game

If you are playing in an S17, use this tip:

If you are holding a hard 16 with a 9-7 combo, choose hit.

If you are playing in an H17, consider the following suggestions:

If you hold a hard 15 with an 8-7 combo, choose hit and;

Choose to stand if you are holding a hard 17 with a 9-8 combination.

You can count on the strategies and tips that are listed on this guide. If possible, you can also create a color-coded gameplay guide which you can check out when playing online. And if possible, try to practice these strategies and tips too before attempting to play for real money.

Top 3 Online Casinos that offer Live Blackjack

loader
100

Bonus: Welcome Bonus package worth up to €1,500 + 100 Bonus spins. 18+. New Players only.

Min. Deposit: €20

W.R: 35x

Cashable: Yes

100

Bonus: Welcome Bonus package worth up to €3,000 + 100 Bonus spins. 18+. New Players only.

Min. Deposit: €20

W.R: 35x

Cashable: Yes

100

Bonus: 400% bonus up to €1,500 + 150 Free Spins on Betsoft games

Min. Deposit: €20

W.R: 20x

Cashable: Yes

Blackjack, Blackjack Strategies, Live Blackjack, Strategies

MORE NEWS

Lucky Swedish Player wins €1.4M on NetEnt’s Arabian Nights Slot
After Golden Glyph, Quickspin Is All Set to Release Polar Paws